Thursday, June 16, 2011

QQC #1

I found many striking quotes/sections when reading Chapter 1; here are two of the many.

Striking quotes/sections:
"One notion is that perhaps the singularity was the relic of an earlier collapsed universe-that we're just one of an eternal cycle of the expanding and collapsing universes."
-When reading this section, I was awed by the fact that this theory was actually a reasonable explanation to the questions: What is outside of our universe? And what is outside of what was outside of our universe?(ect.) I'll admit that my brain felt relief from all the thoughts that would continue on and on infinitely.

"Try to imagine someone from a universe of flat surfaces, who had never seen a sphere, being brought to Earth. No matter how far he roamed across the the planet's surface, he would never find an edge. He might eventually return to the spot that he had started..."
- At first, I use to think that the universe never ended because it took too long to get there, an infinite amount of time. However, after reading this, I understood why we would never be able to reach an edge. The analogy was an excellent way for my thoughts to wrap themselves around this concept.


These quotes were eye opening and perhaps reasonable, but I still have one question; What made Earth the 'chosen' planet after the Big Bang?

No comments:

Post a Comment